About Claim Your Voice: Speak with Power and Presence
Claim Your Voice was developed by Jonathan Bender, MS, MFA, a 20-year coach of public speaking and performance, and founder of The Performance of Your Life and WholeSpeak, LLC. This is 3.0 version of an online training that combines professional speaking skills with the personal development work necessary to claim your voice in your life.
- This is a 10-week online training with videos, audios and handouts that teach a range of skills from vocal power, body language, confidence, connection skills and presence. It also has weekly classes that are optional, and can be joined in live or via recordings.
- Exercises range from speaking to acting, voice and movement techniques to meditations. All are taught in a very accessible way.
- The course is taught via a fully gamified (that is, uses game-like incentives) platform to motivate participants and encourage accountability.
- The regular price for this course is $997.
About the Scholarship and ideal candidates
We believe in making this level of professional and personal skill development accessible to those who are in need. For every four paying members, we give a scholarship to someone in need.
For this first enrollment period, we expect to roughly give 20 to 50 scholarships, depending on the number of people who sign up for the course. We expect that scholarships will be distributed to between 3 to 5 nonprofits.
We will also have a second enrollment period mid-July that is expected to be significantly larger, with more scholarships available.
The ideal scholarship candidate is
- Working to turn their lives around, and who are receiving support already.
- Underprivileged societally and economically.
- In need of both professional skills for speaking, to be utilized in interviews, meetings, or on the job, as well as the personal development work of finding greater confidence and self-esteem.
- Stable enough to focus on the training (generally, reviewing the course for an hour per week, plus practicing twice a day for 5 minutes).
- Willing to participate in 10 weeks of he training.
- Able to access the Internet daily (or at least twice a week) via computer or smart phone.
- High integrity, and understands they can only use the course themselves and will not share without permission.
- Over 18 years of age, due to the personal development integrated within the course.
Possible circumstances of candidates
- Former gang members
- Survivors of domestic violence
- HIV+ (LGBTQ or otherwise)
- People of color encouraged.
About the ideal nonprofit
Partner organizations should be 501(c)3s who have a track record of serving the above demographics. They can be national or local organizations.
Regardless, they need to have an easy mechanism to distribute the scholarships to good candidates, so that they can start on February 23rd (or in late July for the second period).
As well, ideal nonprofit partners would communicate to their donor base (via email and social media) about the course between 1/5-2/18. While optional, it is highly encouraged.
Claim Your Voice Nonprofit Partner Application Due by January 19, 2016